Columbia Choirs, a 501c3 nonprofit organization, is a community based, non-sectarian family of choirs training singers in nine choirs, ages pre-school through adult. Since 1984 we have been bringing singers together for international award-winning music training and performance opportunities. At present Columbia Choirs is serving approximately 250 singers from 30 communities on Seattle’s Eastside as well all supporting worthy causes in the wider community.
It is our mission to unite people through the power of music to create a singing community.
We strive to give everyone access to the best instruction in choral music.
Our conductors and accompanists create an ideal learning environment for every singer.
The performances of our choirs in public concerts and competitions reflect their dedication to singing artistry and excellence.
We embrace the diversity within our community.
The unique talents of every singer enrich our organization.
Columbia Choirs welcome singers as active members of our local music community.
Music gives a sense of belonging to the individual.
It shapes the society where music is practiced and heard.
Our choirs perform to connect a wider community in the shared appreciation of beauty and music.
From Our Founder
We believe singers are special people and deserve the best possible music and training as they develop their talent for singing. The music we study and perform is carefully selected for its message content and quality of craftsmanship. Our staff teaches music and individual songs as landscapes of emotion. The combination of attention to the details of music (scientific) and using one’s voice to express the emotion (art) of music leads singers of all ages to broaden their awareness of themselves. We encourage and celebrate individual, personal growth at Columbia Choirs and deeply believe in the positive things our training does for our members.Steve Stevens, Columbia Choirs Founder-Artistic Director
Awards and Concert Tour History
- Gold Awards for choral excellence in the Montreal, Quebec and Vancouver Choral Festivals of Canada
- Award for Choral ExcellenceFestival of Music and Youth in Vienna, Austria
- Gold Medals in the International Choral Kathaumixw in British Columbia, Canada 1st place in the folksong and the children’s choir competitions
- Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod (Wales). The choir is honored with participation (four times) in this prestigious festival in Wales (1989 – placing 8th; 1993 -8th; 1995 – 4th; 2003 2nd in the World.
- “Choir of the Year” and two Gold Medals in the Bournemouth Competitions Festival in England
- Gold Medal (Women’s Choir division) ) Cantonigros International Music Festival in Barcelona, Spain
- Silver Medal (Children’s Choir division) Cantonigros International Music
- Two Gold Medals (Children’s Choir division) Golden Gate International Children’s Choir Festival in San Francisco, California, U.S.A. Mr. Stevens named most outstanding conductor of the festival..
- Selected for national recordings by Silver-Burdett Music Textbook Publishers.
- Recordings were used to be an example to children and to help school children throughout the world learn songs appearing in the textbook series.
- Children’s Choir selected to represent the United States at the “World Vision International Children’s Choir Festival” in South Korea